[Distutils] Tools should (at least optionally) prefer final releases. (was Re: easy_install installing beta version of psycopg2)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Feb 18 14:53:09 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 17/02/2011 00:01, Daniele Varrazzo wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think it is fair to ask to stop listing the beta from the
>>> homepage and the download page of the 2-pages website of the module:
>>
>> Indeed, but I think it's totally fair to expect users to pin to the version
>> they require using whatever package management policy they choose.
>>
>> Of course, sure, it would be nice if easy_install had a sane default of
>> installing only final releases, but what're the chances of PJE implementing
>> that? ;-)
>>
>> What's the "distribute" take on this?
>
> If someone wants to contribute a "--prefer-final" option to Distribute
> --extracted from zc.buildout-- I am fine adding it, and even
> activating this behavior by default, so people opt in to get the non
> final releases.

Thank you for noting the buildout feature, which has been around since 2007. :)

I really think tools should support this feature.  I also think the default
should be to prefer final. I think this is much better than maintaining separate

> I think it would be a good way to let the user control the behavior of
> the installer better, and that's what zc.buildout wants to do next
> AFAIK.

Yes. buildout2 will prefer final by default.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jimfulton