[Distutils] [buildout] bad handling of stuff specified in setup_requires

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 00:12:33 CET 2011

Hi All,

I've experiences problems when my package specifies a
setup_requires="PasteScript" in it's call to setuptools' setup function
when using buildout and my package is specified as a develop egg in the

I was doing this to avoid the following:

/usr/local/lib/python2.6/distutils/dist.py:266: UserWarning: Unknown
distribution option: 'paster_plugins'

..but specifying setup_requires as above seems to:

- install the PasteScript and Paste eggs directory in the checkout of my
package under development (not ideal)

- trip up buildout into thinking that those packages are globally
available and so not install them (really bad...)

- cause zc.recipe.egg, as a result, to not install scripts from those
packages even when dependent-scripts is specified as true.

Worse still, because buildout doesn't seem to know much about those
packages, even when the setup_requires line is removed, the .egg folders
in the development checkout of my package still cause the above buildout

Has anyone else experienced this?
Where's best to report this?

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk