[Distutils] Distribute comments

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Tue Jan 4 18:37:28 CET 2011

On 1/4/11 06:40 , Alan Franzoni wrote:
> Hello,
> have you just seen distribute guide - which is just an update fork of
> the original setuptools distribution - or did you check out this as
> well?:
>
> http://guide.python-distribute.org/
>

> Surely the setuptools/distribute fork has been painful so far, but
> it's done. You could check out distutils2 as well
Um... neither, I don't think.

I was commenting on this one: http://packages.python.org/distribute

The only "doc" I've seen for setuptools was pretty bad.  I don't find a
copy of it now, though.

And I haven't yet seen a piece of overall documentation.  With at least
three major efforts being involved, there really needs to be an
overview, perhaps a HOWTO on python packaging.  Yes, I understand that
it's politically charged, but right now it's pretty daunting.

--rich