[Distutils] distutils and MSVCR90.DLL

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew at stsci.edu
Wed Jan 5 23:36:31 CET 2011

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.
>> Just to be sure, I've gone back and re-compiled it from clean source.
>> There is no indication of any compile errors, and it didn't make any
>> difference.
>
> This is different from "DLL not found", though: it means that the DLL
> *was* found, but doesn't have one of the symbols that is being used.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't tell which symbol, and in which DLL.

Thanks - that is useful to know.

>> In that case, how do I debug this?
>
> There are a number of ways:
>
> 1. load the pyd into depends.exe, and see whether it shows problems.

depends.exe said "Error opening file.  The system cannot find the file specified (2)." about msvcr90.dll.  :(

> 2. use sxstrace.exe

Is there some documentation for it somewhere?  I'm not getting anything useful from start->help or google.

Maybe you can help me with a more general question:  My group writes python code (including c extensions) on linux/mac, then distribute a windows installer using distutils bdist_wininst.  The presumption is that you can expect to do that without Windows-specific development expertise.  Is that a realistic expectation?

Mark