[Distutils] buildout download cache

Thomas Lotze thomas at thomas-lotze.de
Tue Jan 11 09:03:36 CET 2011

rafael wrote:

> We are planning to extend buildout download API to provide a distributed
> automatic
> packaging and caching system so that even if original source web site is
> down, the buildout process can stil run. This could also be useful to
> build software in
> secured networks.

I'd strongly suggest keeping this logic out of the download API. It sounds
like something that may potentially grow a lot more complex than a simple
"download this URL, with or without using a cache" gesture.

In my opinion, a distributed packaging system is application logic from
the perspective of a generic framework such as zc.buildout. It might be
implemented by a recipe, some library on top of the download API or some
other mechanism altogether, but it should neither complicate the semantics
of the existing download API nor add a new one to the zc.buildout code
base.

--
Thomas