[Distutils] Setting version from commandline or setup.cfg?

Alan Franzoni mailing at franzoni.eu
Tue Jan 11 12:51:53 CET 2011

Hello,
I'm trying to automate my release process from vcs - something like:

run tests ->
 fetch current major, minor from branch (e.g. release_1.2) and
revision from tag (e.g. v1.2.1) ->
upload with current major, minor and  revision +1 >
tag with such current major, minor and incremented revision.

I'd like to set my version from outside my setup.py file, either via
setup.py or a commandline option - I don't want to execute code in my
setup.py since this usually causes all sort of headaches with missing
dependencies.

Is there any proper way to do it? Might I break  other things unexpectedly?

--
Alan Franzoni