[Distutils] unable to upload to pypi

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Wed Jul 27 18:10:21 CEST 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:34:39 PM Alan Franzoni wrote:
> On Wed 27 Jul 2011 02:34:03 PM CEST, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
> > In short, the order is important:
> > 	1. build a source distribution
> > 	2. register
> > 	3. upload
>
> I'd object that. I've always used register without creating a source
> dist; the data used for registering just comes from the setup.py file
> AFAIK.
>
> I've tried downloading the .tar.gz and using its setup.py, I got this
> error:
>

> running register
> running check
> Registering Matalg to http://pypi.python.org/pypi
> Server response (400): Invalid classifier "Development Status ::
> Release 0.1.0"
>
> Take a look at those, you should use those values as classifier, I was
> able to register Matalg without issues (I'll now delete it)
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=list_classifiers

Thank your for the fine detective work.  The biggest finds from my viewpoint
are:

1. The registration uploads  the data from setup.py and checks its validity
and in my case rejects it because it finds it faulty.

2. Trying to download it gives some information about the attempted
registration.

And a question: How to attempt a download?

So the failure to register is a simple mistake, which needs to be corrected.
My 86 years of age are showing...

There are other shorcomings in the setup.py.  For instance, a long description
is missing.

Big thank you to you!  I will correct the setup.py and report to the list of
the result somewhat later - the time here is 2 am and I better return to bed
so that I do not make an even biger mess.

Al.