[Distutils] DRAFT PEP 396 - module version number

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jun 9 02:42:17 CEST 2011

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> #. The ``__version__`` attribute's value SHOULD be a string.

I may be fighting against the tide here; but this screams to me that the
PEP should not be talking at all about “version number” (except to point
out that they're strings, not numbers). Instead, the term should be
“version string” throughout.

Much damage is done to understanding version strings by calling them
“version numbers”, with all the baggage about parsing and sequencing
etc. that entails. We don't have to make the same mistake in this PEP.

--
 \     “He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let |
  `\              that fool you. He really is an idiot.” —Groucho Marx |