[Distutils] pypi/packages/docs.python.org

cool-RR cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Sun Mar 6 21:16:39 CET 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 20:49, cool-RR <cool-rr at cool-rr.com> wrote:
> > Speaking of names, I would rename PyPI to packages.python.org, maybe
> move
> > the existing documentation center to docs.python.org, and then move the
> docs
> > of Python itself to a `/python` folder...
> > But that's just me.
>
> No, I do think docs.python.org should be for documentation of Python.
> I agree having package documentation on packages.python.org may not be
> very pedagogical, though. :-)
>
> //Lennart

We must remember that what is obvious for us is *not* obvious for newbies.
For us it's obvious that Python packages are on PyPI and that
packages.python.org is documentation. But for, say, a Java programmer who's
just touching Python for a small project, this is a possible point of
confusion which can make him think, "Man, Python people are weird, what is
this 'pypi' thing?"

Ram.

--
Sincerely,