[Distutils] pypi/packages/docs.python.org

cool-RR cool-rr at cool-rr.com
Sun Mar 6 22:45:31 CET 2011

2011/3/6 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>

> What particular clause strikes you as particularly unfriendly?
>>> Please understand that it may sound harsh, but is necessary - better
>>> be safe than sorry.
>>>

>> Nothing wrong about the warning itself, but about landing on a plain
>> condensed text page.
>> I think we should make it a html page. And maybe display the last ten
>> packages doc updates ?
>>

> It actually *is* a html page (and always was). It just doesn't use
> any styling.
>
> As for changing the style: please submit a html file to replace what is
> there (I refuse to do any styling . As for displaying the last ten doc
> updates: either submit a tracker request, or provide a patch.
>

>  Since "packages.python.org" allow us to have a directory with HTML
>> files, those could be made accessible under:
>>
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute/docs, with a big link on the
>> top of http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute to go there.
>>

> [I wonder why "links" and "buttons" always have to be "big", and often
> "red" :-]
>
> See my response to Lennart for the former: distribute/docs would be
> the "docs" release of "distribute". As for a big link: if you think
> your page should have one, you are free to make it yourself already.
>

>  http://packages.python.org/PROJECT/  would become
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PROJECT/doc
>>
>> IOW, not changes but just avoiding two places -- without giving any
>> hint on each place about the existence of the other place.
>>
>> Why Distribute would have two root pages ?
>>

> See above: what you propose cannot work. Also, I don't think many
> users care about the URLs of things. If your package home page
> is pypi/distribute, that's perfectly fine. Put a documentation
> link on that page, and be done.

>  Then, maybe http://pypi.python.org/pypi could simply become
>> http://packages.python.org, with:
>>

>> - http://packages.python.org/PROJECT
>> - http://packages.python.org/PROJECT/docs
>> - http://packages.python.org/PROJECT/1.2
>> - etc..
>>

> That would break existing packages URLs, so -1. You cannot
> lightly change URLs in the Web - replacing an existing URL
> is a multi-year project.

Sigh... Could everyone please be more careful before they create URLs that
will have to be maintained for YEARS? This is so frustrating.

As a practical solution now: Which links are being broken? If someone goes
into http://packages.python.org/PROJECT expecting documentation, and then he
gets a general page for the project which links to the documentation, then I
think it's not that bad.

If someone's following a deep link into the documentation, we can give a 404
page which suggests adding a `/docs`, so people will slowly learn to update
their links.

> Individual package maintainers may
> do, but we still get lots of hits on cheeseshop.python.org,
> so that needs to be supported many years in the future. I'm
> not looking forward to having a *second* transitional URL.
>

> Regards,
> Martin

Sincerely,
Ram Rachum