[Distutils] Name the software! Package quality tester.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 11:20:09 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 11:01, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
>> I've started working on a little utility to give a quality rating on
>> packages
>
> Please don’t call those things packages.  Let’s try to use “package”
> only for a directory that you can import from Python, and “distribution”
> for a bundle/archive of one version of a project.
>
> http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2010/01/07/fixing-packaging-terminology-confusion/
> http://docs.python.org/dev/distutils/introduction#concepts-terminology

The problem is that it's not distributions (although it will test them
too). It's "Things that has a setup.py" and "what has an entry on
PyPI".  This is generally called a package, as in Python *Package*
Index. I agree this is confusing. But saying that Pyroma tests
distributions would also be confusing. :-) If a decision comes to call
these "projects", then I'm fine with that, but currently they are
called packages.

/Lennart