[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] pypi/packages/docs.python.org

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Tue Mar 8 00:09:24 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Richard Jones <richard at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Mark Sienkiewicz <sienkiew at stsci.edu> wrote:
>> I suggest:
>> - Generate a link if there is documentation
> Right, we do this already.
>> - Generate the text "No documentation" in the place where the link would be
>> if there is no documentation.
> I don't like this. The documentation space on pypi is offered as a
> space for projects that's convenient or where they otherwise wouldn't
> be able to host their own documentation website. It's not something I
> wish to force people to use (just like package upload isn't something
> we force people to do), and stating "no documentation" would be a bit
> of a lie in a bunch of cases. Even with additional clarifying wording
> it's still a negative statement that I don't think we need to make.

What about this:

1) have some sort of "disabled" link placeholder so the documentation
   link is always there, but not an attractive nuisance leading to a
   dead end when there are no docs available and

2) let project owners provide an alternative target for the link if they
   host their documentation elsewhere.
Benji York