[Distutils] Name the software! Package quality tester.

Alexis Métaireau alexis at notmyidea.org
Tue Mar 8 14:13:52 CET 2011

Le 08/03/2011 09:39, Lennart Regebro a écrit :
> Well, given that the term "project" hasn't gained widespread
> acceptance, maybe we should adjust the terminology to how people
> actually use it.
> That could only happen in Python 3.3, though, and obviously needs to
> be discussed widely. Is there a language summit this year?

The sure thing is we have to agree on something different that what we
already have: packages for directories containing .py files and packages
for things we want to distribute, which should have different names.

I'm +1 with the idea of replacing "packages" by "modules", especially
because this "package" thing just add some fuss to the overall
comprehension. Why do we need to make a distinctions between python
packages and python modules ? Why a package does contains modules rather
thatn the other way around?

If you have some pointers to the discussion (if any) that leaded to
these choices, it could certainly help us to understand the rationale
leading to this choice, and make us able to chose the right names.

We really need to do something about those names *now*, especially
because it's not too late to change names in use in distutils2 (it will
probably be more complicated once it will be integrated in the stdlib).

Maybe can we even match the rename of PyPI into python project index
with the release of distutils2 and the "renew of python packaging" ?

Cheers,
Alex