[Distutils] Name the software! Package quality tester.

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 9 00:00:39 CET 2011

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I question whether that distinction is important, but if and when it
> is, then we could use an adjective to clarify.  Under the hood, the
> object we call packages today are just modules.

I think the fact that we used the word "package" in the
first place testifies that it *is* important -- otherwise
we wouldn't have invented the term.

The word "package" covers much more than just the module
object that comes into being when you import it. It also
implies the associated directory structure, extra import
facilities and mechanisms, etc. It's not just a minor
variation on the concept of a module.

--
Greg