[Distutils] Distribute and Python 3.2

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 12:05:50 CET 2011

I'm working on Python 3 versions of pip and virtualenv, with the idea of keeping
a common codebase for Python 2.x and 3.x so as to make maintenance easier. To
date, I've made good progress: My port of pip (working with my port of
virtualenv) passes 100 tests (2 are skipped) on Python 3.2 and 3.3a0. However,
one roadblock is that distribute 0.6.14 doesn't work with Python 3.2 and later,
because of the "abiflags" configuration parameter which is new in 3.2. Toshio
Kuratomi has a fix for this checked in, and my tests have used a tarball of the
distribute 0.6-maintenance tip with a name of distribute-0.6.15dev.tar.gz.

It would be good if an official 0.6.15 release of distribute were made,
incorporating that fix, now that 3.2 is out. Can someone tell me if there is a
plan to release a 0.6.15, and if so, when it will be?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip

P.S. IMO Toshio Kuratomi's fix could be better implemented as

self.config_vars['abiflags'] = getattr(sys, 'abiflags', '')

in the same block as all the other self.config_vars[...] assignments.