[Distutils] window 64bit madness

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Mar 14 19:50:48 CET 2011

At 03:40 PM 3/14/2011 +0100, Adam GROSZER wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Having problems here installing
>http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/r/reportlab/reportlab-2.5.win-amd64-py2.6.exe
>. Neither setuptools 0.6c11 nor distribute 0.6.14 gets it right.
>
>We don't have and don't want to have a compiler on the server, so we
>need rely on binary packages.
>
>- setuptools just fails miserably even with easy_install:
>http://paste.lisp.org/+2KZD
>- distribute installs it (tho in a ...-win32.egg folder):
>http://paste.lisp.org/+2KZE
>- zc.buildout cannot install it with distribute, because it wants to
>use the source tarball (and we don't have a compiler) or when I make
>it not to be able to see the tarball, it does not find the
>reportlab-2.5.win-amd64-py2.6.exe. I guess it does not get the platform right.
>
>Any hints?

Run "python -c 'import pkg_resources;print
pkg_resources.get_build_platform()'" (with the Python interpreter you're using.

(By the way, I think from the log you gave, that reportlab may in
fact be installed and usable on your machine, despite the attempt to
download it a second time and build it from source.  But I could be wrong.)