[Distutils] window 64bit madness

Adam GROSZER agroszer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 11:28:32 CET 2011

On 03/14/2011 07:50 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 03:40 PM 3/14/2011 +0100, Adam GROSZER wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Having problems here installing
>> http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/r/reportlab/reportlab-2.5.win-amd64-py2.6.exe
>> . Neither setuptools 0.6c11 nor distribute 0.6.14 gets it right.
>>
>> We don't have and don't want to have a compiler on the server, so we
>> need rely on binary packages.
>>
>> - setuptools just fails miserably even with easy_install:
>> http://paste.lisp.org/+2KZD
>> - distribute installs it (tho in a ...-win32.egg folder):
>> http://paste.lisp.org/+2KZE
>> - zc.buildout cannot install it with distribute, because it wants to
>> use the source tarball (and we don't have a compiler) or when I make
>> it not to be able to see the tarball, it does not find the
>> reportlab-2.5.win-amd64-py2.6.exe. I guess it does not get the
>> platform right.
>>
>> Any hints?
>
> Run "python -c 'import pkg_resources;print
> pkg_resources.get_build_platform()'" (with the Python interpreter you're
> using.

D:\install>c:\Python26_64\python.exe
Python 2.6.6 (r266:84297, Aug 24 2010, 18:13:38) [MSC v.1500 64 bit
(AMD64)] on win32
 >>> import pkg_resources;print pkg_resources.get_build_platform()
win-amd64

> (By the way, I think from the log you gave, that reportlab may in fact
> be installed and usable on your machine, despite the attempt to download
> it a second time and build it from source. But I could be wrong.)

Might be, but zc.buildout errs out if it detects an error by the
underlying installer. And I *want* to have reportlab installed by
zc.buildout.
--
Best regards,
  Adam GROSZER