[Distutils] pythonv: let's also make sure the standard Python install includes an "isolated" python

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Mar 17 21:48:38 CET 2011

On Mar 17, 2011, at 05:33 PM, Carl Meyer wrote:

>On 03/17/2011 05:13 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> I suggest the following:
>>
>> Look for argv[0]+'.pythonv' and then for '../pythonv.cfg'.
>>
>> So if I've linked the Python executable to ./bin/clean, look for
>> ./bin/clean.pythonv and ./pythonv.cfg.
>
>Nice - I like the ability to have multiple interpreters side-by-side
>with different pythonv configurations.

Indeed.  In that case though, wouldn't ./bin/clean.cfg be fine?  Even if the
executable were named ./bin/python a sibling ./bin/python.cfg would be fine
too I think.  I agree with Carl that I dislike the inconsistency in the
extension, but I think argv[0] + '.cfg' would be fine.

Having a non-.cfg or -.conf extension makes it harder to do stuff like
automatically set the major mode in Emacs (although I guess it wouldn't be
that hard to add a mapping for *.pythonv).

>Is ".cfg" generally preferred to ".conf" for some good reason? I don't
>personally care too much; the former is shorter but the latter looks
>less ugly to me ;-)

I guess I'm on the .cfg side, but wouldn't care too much if .conf is the
consensus.

>And I kind of dislike the inconsistency in extension; would
>"clean.pythonv.cfg" be acceptable?

I'm not sure you need the .pythonv. part.

>To simplify documentation and allow more flexibility, I might just check
>for all four: first the executable-specific one in both directories,
>then the general one in both directories.

Definitely add a --verbose option to print out exactly which one got
chosen. :)

-Barry