[Distutils] reservations about pythonv

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew at stsci.edu
Fri Mar 18 18:46:26 CET 2011

> The above just means my memory is too faulty to of much use ;).  I'll just
> echo Carl's request for specific cases where $LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to be set.

Here is a case that might resemble what you are talking about:

Compile a C extension that requires a shared library that is not in the
standard system path.  To import it, LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to be right.

This is not really different from what happens in a compiled language,
except in one way:  In C, I can compile it -static or I can give the
full path to the .so file.  Either results in a thing that works without
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

With distutils, you can't.  It goes to great lengths to ensure that you
can only compile a C extension with "cc ... -L/some/directory -lname" --
I can't find any way to make it do "cc ... /some/directory/libname.so"

So, the real problem here is that distutils uses "cc -L", but it
demonstrates a case where LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be important to a python
program even when Python itself can run without it.