[Distutils] Stop using setuptools or distribute in buildout (was Re: Fwd: Re: window 64bit madness)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Mar 19 17:04:20 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> What are the features that you need ? I'd be interested to know wrt
> packaging package we're adding in Python to see if it can be useful there

For the most part, I use the package-index and package-resource
features.  In many ways I'd do better doing a lot of this myself.  For
example, people want to allow multiple indexes and I'd like buildout
to do more network IO in parallel, using either an async IO library or
threads.

Buildout uses the easy_install command to build, but it would do
better to just invoke a project's setup script, possibly after
arranging that certain other required packages are accessible to the
setup script.

I could go into more detail if I remembered the details. :) If a
sprint attacks this, as I hope, then a more detailed report would be a
good product of the sprint.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton