[Distutils] reservations about pythonv

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 21 19:32:26 CET 2011

On Mar 20, 2011, at 01:18 AM, Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:

>Another variant of this case, one we're actually facing here at our
>company (Nexedi) right now, is when you need to compile extension
>modules with libraries that are newer than the ones in the system, and
>you don't have root access. The absense of LD_LIBRARY_PATH means a
>segfault on an arbitrary moment during execution, not just an
>unloadable library.

The question is whether pythonv makes any difference here.  IOW, if you used
plain ol' virtualenv with some custom-location libraries, you'd have the same
problem right?

If so, then in both cases you'd have to arrange for LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be set
correctly for things to work.  So pythonv wouldn't need to do anything
special.

Cheers,
-Barry