[Distutils] issues with namespace packages on Debian Squeeze and Python 2.6

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Tue Mar 22 11:50:54 CET 2011

On 11-03-11 14:27, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> I have tried with system default python 2.5, and namespace packages
>> >works. The same when I create a virtual environment with python 2.6.
>> >The problem seems to just be with system default python 2.6.
>> >
>> >I'm using the original setuptools (installed from sources), and not the
>> >one provided by Debian.
> Yes, I think this is going to give you problems because it doesn't know about
> dist-packages, and site-packages is not on sys.path by default in the system
> Python.  Please try again with the Ubuntu setuptools package (which is really
> distribute).  It's been modified to know about dist-packages.

Note that this debian-specific behaviour also "ruins" other things:
buildout 1.5+ can detect system-wide installed eggs and use them if you
tell it to. Handy if you want to use stuff like mapnik and so with lots
of dependencies.

Only: buildout cannot detect the eggs in their non-standard locations as
buildout obviously doesn't have the ubuntu setuptools' fix...

Do you know any way around this? I'm stuck with buildouts below 1.5 for
the time being!

Reinout