[Distutils] issues with namespace packages on Debian Squeeze and Python 2.6

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Mar 23 16:19:51 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Reinout van Rees <reinout at vanrees.org> wrote:
> On 22-03-11 18:57, Carl Meyer wrote:
>>>
>>> Only: buildout cannot detect the eggs in their non-standard locations as
>>
>> This sounds more likely to be caused by not having the site.py changes I
>> mentioned above. IIRC buildout 1.5 uses "python -S" to avoid the
>> automatic import of site.py, so it would never see the Debian/Ubuntu
>> modifications in site.py. As long as buildout uses "-S", I think the
>> only fix for that would be for buildout's "detect system-wide eggs"
>> feature to add in explicit workaround/support for dist-packages. This is
>> what virtualenv does.
>
> Just making sure: you're suggesting a debian-specific workaround in
> buildout?
>
> Buildout maintainers: would adding such a workaround be OK with you?

I abhor screwing w site.py, but buildout is already doing so. I
believe it copies site.py so it *should* work with debian
modifications.  I don't really understand this code and honestly don't
want to.  It was contributed by someone at and for Ubuntu so I'd
expect it to work with debian.  I would submit a bug report and
hopefully, they'll look at it.

In the long term, I'd really like to move this (site.py copying) code
out of buildout into recipes, as I don't want to maintain it.  In the
longer term, I'd love this to get addresses by the pythonv work
somehow. :)

Jim

--
Jim Fulton