[Distutils] the usecase of continious integration based release-management (which could use more support on the ds2 side)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 23 22:56:08 CET 2011

Mark Sienkiewicz wrote:

> Maybe you should go the other way:  Put the version number in your
> source code.  Make a short script that picks out the version number and
> constructs a tag name for the vcs.

In my projects I tend to keep the definitive version number
in the Makefile, and have a make target that generates a
version.py file from it. This is convenient because the
Makefile often needs the version number for other things
like creating release tarballs. Tagging vcs commits would
be another use.

--
Greg