[Distutils] the usecase of continious integration based release-management (which could use more support on the ds2 side)

Alexis Métaireau alexis at notmyidea.org
Wed Mar 23 23:47:05 CET 2011

Le 23/03/2011 19:20, Ronny Pfannschmidt a écrit :
> Hi,

Hey ronny !

> i'd like to propose making the work-flow of creating releases by just
> pushing vcs tags to a ci system as easy as possible

That's an usage a lot of people have, +1 to make it easy to do in a few
steps.

> personally all i ever want to do to release a new version is::
>
>   $vcs tag $version
>   $vcs push

Do you mean "pysetup upload" (or whatever similar), or are you thinking
about a vcs hook that generates the setup.cfg and upload for you ?

What tools are we talking about ? distutils? distutils2?
setuptools/distribute?

The way to do it with distutils2 would be to register a hook able to get
information from the vcs and put it in the setup.cfg.

> a) provide a hook to get the version, make the version static on
> sdist/upload
>  pro: straightforward, simple
>  cons: kind of a hack

why are you considering it a hack ? seems the right way to me.

> b) provide support for multiple setup-hooks and support for command
> mixin's
>
>  pro: generic way to do it
>  cons: needs more code, more stuff in setup.cfg

multiple setup-hooks ? Doesnt seems clear to me, can you clarify ?

--
Alexis — http://notmyidea.org