[Distutils] the usecase of continious integration based release-management (which could use more support on the ds2 side)

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Thu Mar 24 03:30:22 CET 2011

On 23-03-11 20:20, Ronny Pfannschmidt wrote:
> personally all i ever want to do to release a new version is::
>
>    $vcs tag $version
>    $vcs push
>
> currently that would require various nasty hacks to get the version
> meta-data static on sdist and to grab the version number in a setup hook

This means a bit of machinery on the server side, basically.

I'm doing this on my laptop with zest.releaser (see pypi).
I just enter "fullrelease" and press enter a few times and it is ready.
It grabs the version number from setup.py.
It proposes that version number as the new tag.
It then increases the version number and commits that one (with a dev
marker).

It does a bit more, like updating your changelog with a new header after
releasing and by recording your release date in that very same changelog.

=> I think this is best handled on the client's side: the tag you're
making is tied to quite a lot of things and I think setup.py's version
is the best source of that.

Reinout