[Distutils] pythonv, take two

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 15:21:57 CEST 2011

Vinay Sajip <vinay_sajip <at> yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I think the problem is occurring because there's incomplete support for running
> from a source build.

To confirm this, I installed pythonv - and then running pmv.py produces the
expected result - an env with a copied Python which allows you to install stuff
into the env. I packaged the pythonv I used as a .deb using checkinstall, so
that it's uninstallable:

http://www.red-dove.com/pythonv_3.3-1_i386.deb

and having installed it, I re-ran pmv and did some smoke testing, output is at

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/363186/

I know we're not done yet, but at least this shows that the getpath.c code seems
to be working (because sys.path seems correct when running the env's copy of
Python) and distribute_setup.py installs without errors, followed by
easy_installing sample packages setuptools-git, ply, Pygments, Jinja2,
SQLAlchemy and coverage ... all seemingly without problems.

Of course, this is still using sys.prefix/sys.exec_prefix.

Regards,

Vinay