[Distutils] third party program or python error

mikroman at shaw.ca mikroman at shaw.ca
Thu May 12 04:28:01 CEST 2011

    This request may be beyond the scope of your help. I am trying to solve an issue that involves tix84.dll, a side-by-side error, .mp4 extension, and a wininst.exe that occurs from within Corel’s Paint Shop Photo Pro x3. An unusual request that may not involve Python at all, but, rather “some else’s programming.” – of course. I have scanned through Python’s FAQ’s and bug checker - as a side note I must say that I deeply respect the way this website is organized – truly brilliant and a lot of webmasters could learn from this layout. I can say that I am not a programmer. At least not advanced enough to be commercially successful. I would consider myself to be a competent bug checker yet I am stumped. I have included here a lot of information pertaining to this error. Would it be appropriate to send you error logs that might help?
    Python was included in Corel’s Paint Shop Photo Pro x3 version that I installed. Strangely the tix84.dll is not present in the Python dll library directory that is installed by PSP. I did locate that file from a known source and place it there which allows a certain PSP installation package to operate (which I believe is not supposed to occur in the first place); that would be wininst-8_d.exe which is present in the proper directory – yet Windows error log reports that it can’t find it. This installer wouldn’t continue without that dll. Now that it was able to continue and finish this peculiar installation, any attempt to start the program halts with “DetectLanguage()error. Exiting.”  The program did function normally in every way it was supposed to previous to this odd installation. The strangest thing is that this installer was only initiated when I would attempt to open an .mp4 file in any fashion whether PSP was running or not. Until recently I would normally cancel the install operation and if I was running the application PSP would continue as usual. I ignored it. This was the first program I had installed after completely installing and updating a clean Windows 7 64bit on a new machine. The PSP program itself was further updated four times. This problem occurred before and after that procedure. Everything else that has been installed, 32 or 64 bit, has performed perfectly...well as perfect as humans can get.
    I have viewed the Corel message board and found several occurrences of this problem with no solutions provided. I will also post this to comp.lang.python seeking help.
    I would like to thank you now for taking your time to read this and I hope you can lead me in the right direction.

Mike Loewen
c=64 rulez