[Distutils] windows setuptools.exe

James justrandombytes at gmail.com
Tue May 31 08:21:56 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Mark Hammond <skippy.hammond at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 29/05/2011 9:42 AM, James wrote:
>
>> I just tried to download and run the python2.5 0.6c11 setuptools and I
>> get a message that there is no record of python in the registry and the
>> install cannot proceed.
>
> A 32-bit binary will be looking in the 32bit registry, as intended.
> Assuming you don't have a 64bit Python 2.5, then your registry entries
> should also be in the 32bit registry.  If you have grabbed the 64bit version
> of Python 2.5, then you are unlikely to find a corresponding 64bit installer
> for setuptools as making 64bit extensions with 2.5 was incredibly painful -
> you might be better off looking at 2.6...
>
> HTH,
>
> Mark

Maybe I was taking the "easy" part a little too literal for my own good ;) I
thought, wow, that's cool, someone went to the trouble of making one
installer for both 32 and 64 bit. Not that I understand (or want to) what
the installer does but it seemed plausible at the time.

 I arrived  here http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools#id8 from the sphinx
page, there seems to be only a link to one (presumably 32 bit only)
installer for each 2.x python :( Spelunking around in
http://pypi.python.org/packages/ <http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/> didn't
get me anywhere either (looking in the 2.6 or 2.7 dirs)

Didn't see any "not-so-easy how to build/install this on x64" notes either.
Can someone point me to that if there is such a thing? If there is no such
thing can someone please let me out of my misery?

thanks,
 - James