[Distutils] make-like develop

Jorge Vargas jorge.vargas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:02:09 CET 2011

Hi,

What you are describing seems a lot like the task/way of operation of
Buildout. http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout Perhaps you should
take a look at it as it's mode of operation is to maintain a
collection of "eggs" either from sources or repos.

Personally I like the virtualenv approach (using pip and a
requirements.txt file) more but in the few projects i have used
buildout it's fine.

As for your other question. Yes if setup.py has changed then you must
make python/distutils be aware of it. That's the only occasion where
you must rerun it, at least that I know of.