[Distutils] Odd limitation in packaging/distutils2

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Wed Nov 2 16:40:36 CET 2011

Hi,

> On 2 November 2011 14:18, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> I'm still a bit confused. This is on Windows, and maybe things are
> different there, but installing seems to just work for me (except for
> the case where things are to be downloaded). What problem should I
> look for?

On UNIX, the sysconfig module exposes information from the configure
script, such as the install prefix.  In an uninstalled built checkout,
this install prefix defaults to /usr/local, so trying to install a
distribution would create /usr/local/lib/python3.3/site-packages, which
would be incorrect and polluting.  That’s the problem I wanted to prevent.

Can you define what you mean with “just work”?  Does it install things
into $checkout/Lib/site-packages?

> The reason I care is that installing packages into a dev build is
> really useful for testing packaging changes. I'm not actually sure how
> to turn a dev build into an installed build on Windows...

http://docs.python.org/devguide/#quick-start : “On Windows, load the
project file PCbuild\pcbuild.sln in Visual Studio, select Debug, and
Build -> Build Solution;”

Cheers