[Distutils] make-like develop

Jorge Vargas jorge.vargas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:55:10 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Andrea Crotti
<andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/02/2011 02:02 PM, Jorge Vargas wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What you are describing seems a lot like the task/way of operation of
>> Buildout. http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout Perhaps you should
>> take a look at it as it's mode of operation is to maintain a
>> collection of "eggs" either from sources or repos.
>>
>> Personally I like the virtualenv approach (using pip and a
>> requirements.txt file) more but in the few projects i have used
>> buildout it's fine.
>>
>> As for your other question. Yes if setup.py has changed then you must
>> make python/distutils be aware of it. That's the only occasion where
>> you must rerun it, at least that I know of.
>>

> Initially my idea was to actually use buildout/virtualenv.
> The problem is that it's harder to make them completely transparent to the
> user, and given the "users" I can't even possibly ask to run "bin/buildout"
> but there must be a script that handles everything more or less
> automatically...

As far as I know there isn't but I'll love to heard about something
like this, because I do have some non-techy users that need this (web
designers in my case) what we are using internally is Fabric, we can
automate every call and it runs down to just running one script. But
it is still a bit of trouble.