[Distutils] Odd limitation in packaging/distutils2

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:11:50 CET 2011

On 4/11/2011 3:53 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 3 November 2011 16:45, Éric Araujo<merwok at netwok.org>  wrote:
>> I wouldn’t do that: It would trick Python into thinking it’s installed
>> without actually doing all the things that make it installed.
>
> Agreed, it's not good. It's just that I don't know (on Windows) what
> things *do* make a Python build "installed". I'll see if I can find a
> definitive statement from somewhere...

There really isn't anything that makes it "installed".  A built Python
works completely fine just where it is (and indeed, will work just fine
if moved somewhere else).  The closest thing to being "installed" on
windows is an "InstalledPath" (or something :) registry key for the
version, but that is only necessary in a limited number of contexts -
when some executable other than the in-place python[w].exe needs to know
where things are.

I think the original report is certainly a bug on Windows (and seems
mis-guided on other platforms, but each to their own :)

Mark