[Distutils] [buildout-versions] Can buildout-versions made to work for zc.buildout v1.4.*? (#1)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Oct 24 19:37:26 CEST 2011

On 21/10/2011 23:35, Jonathan Ballet wrote:
> I never used buildout-versions, but buildout.dumppickedversions is quite
> buggy IMO.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons why I forked it...

> I worked a bit to make the output more stable over successive run: my
> use case was to bootstrap a project and keep using the same dependencies
> and versions (no matter what they were in the beginning) as long as i
> didn't change the versions.cfg file.

Yeah, that's how buildout-versions works, I'd encourage you to give it a
try and let me know if you hit any problems...

> But there are many other corner cases that aren't detected by the
> extension, and the tests are so long to run and so dependant on
> setuptools or distribute that I stopped working on it and stopped using
> it also. If I would need such functionality again, I will head towards
> buildout-versions instead...

buzzkill:buildout-versions chris$ bin/test -v
Running tests at level 1
Running zope.testrunner.layer.UnitTests tests:
   Set up zope.testrunner.layer.UnitTests in 0.000 seconds.
   Running:
   Ran 47 tests with 0 failures and 0 errors in 17.296 seconds.
Tearing down left over layers:
   Tear down zope.testrunner.layer.UnitTests in 0.000 seconds.

There is one slow test in there, but I don't think that's outrageously
slow...

cheers,

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk