[Distutils] distutils/cygwincompiler.py not compatible with new releases of MingW

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue Oct 25 17:37:38 CEST 2011

Hi Seppo,

> newer versions of MingW no longer have -mno-cygwin parameter for their
> GCC (4.6.1 here) et al which means that compiling with that out of the
> box fails. Is there some kind of bug tracker for distutils where this
> could be followed (I'd be willing to study more in-depth when this
> broke)?

Here it is: http://bugs.python.org/issue12641

We need to tread carefully with the distutils codebase, as many setup
scripts out there depend on undocumented behavior or work around bugs.
For this issue, I don’t have enough information to decide whether to do
a version check, call gcc -dumpspecs or remove the option altogether.

Cheers