[Distutils] Problem pip installing sqlalchemy-migrate with latest distribute

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Oct 25 19:57:21 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I've just reported this sqlalchemy-migrate issue:
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/sqlalchemy-migrate/issues/detail?id=131
>
> I thought it was worth pointing out here in case anyone thinks it's not
> an sqlalchemy-migrate specific issue.

It's not.   https://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issue/208 is an incorrect
fix; the pkg_resources code was correct, and the documentation was wrong.
 So distribute 0.6.23 actually introduces a bug, relative to setuptools.

As it happens, the behavior described in the doc was changed a long time ago
because people weren't reading the docs and packages existed in the field
using '-rc' tags, so I fixed the problem in pkg_resources, but missed that
there was a reference in setuptools.txt to this behavior.