[Distutils] question re: easy_install and macports

Chris Jerdonek chris.jerdonek at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 04:30:29 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> In article
> <CAOTb1wf9JpwBTxqwmF8GHMC1v3vmHmkDeO7REjeOysnxy_p7-g at mail.gmail.com>,
>  Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdonek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, I have a quick question regarding easy_install and MacPorts.  I
>> tried easy_installing nose

>> This worked, except it installed the nosetests script into--
>>
>> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin
>>
>> but did not create an alias in--
>>
>> /opt/local/bin
>>
> For Mac OS X Python framework builds, the easiest general solution is to
> add the framework bin directory to your shell PATH.  The python.org
> installers do that by default.  For a Macports Python, you can add
> something like:
>
> export
> PATH=/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin:$PAT

Thanks for the reply, Ned.  Will this approach cause problems, though,
when switching to a different Python using "port select python" --
what's the best way to handle that issue?  Also, is there any reason
why "port select python" wasn't written to swap out and add the
appropriate framework bin to your PATH, say, immediately after
/opt/local/bin?

Thanks again,
--Chris