[Distutils] Status of distutils & Co.?

Hartmut Goebel h.goebel at goebel-consult.de
Fri Oct 28 10:16:50 CEST 2011

Hi,

while lurking on this lists for quite some month, I'm still wondering
about the status of all the different distutils tools, including
setuptool, pkg_resources, pip, ...). To my impression, there are some
efforts around, but I'm missing some kind of overview or strategy.
Beside the forest of tools, it seams to me, as if the distribution
format is not "stable": pip seams to prefer archives over eggs.

Is there some PEP describing the status and future of Python packaging?

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult
Spezialist für IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Monatliche Kolumne: http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/
Goebel Consult ist Mitglied bei http://www.7-it.de