[Distutils] Twisted plugin system and Python packaging

Glyph Lefkowitz glyph at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Sep 26 02:52:11 CEST 2011

On Sep 25, 2011, at 1:44 AM, P.J. Eby wrote:

> You may want to note that Twisted isn't the only distribution that ships partial packages that aren't namespace packages.  The logilabs packages are (or at any rate were) distributed this way, with a top-level package in one distribution, and some modules (without an __init__) were shipped in other distributions.  (I could be wrong, but I think the mx.* stuff works this way, too.)

Thanks for that data point!  It is really good to know, I'll use it to bludgeon some people with next time this issue comes up (on this list, or on some Debian bug, or whatever) ;-).

> (These are all packages that are distutils-only, though, or have their own extensions, IIRC.)

You mean "extensions to distutils", or C extensions?  I think Twisted qualifies for both of those, and we definitely want to remain installable without setuptools, although we do use it for one or two things if it's available now.

-glyph