[Distutils] Fwd: The state of PyPI

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Tue Sep 27 15:59:50 CEST 2011

On 9/27/11 8:51 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Wichert Akkerman<wichert at wiggy.net>  wrote:
> ..
>>>
>>> I understand where you're coming from but, ..
>>> I think it's saner to rely on proven technology
>>> than to invent our own protocol. NIH?
>>
>> This also feels like a problem that has already been solved in various ways
>> by Debian, RedHat, CPAN and others.
>
> Yes, and we've found a way similar to CPAN, with some Python specifics
> (PyPI download statistics mainly)
>
> Oh my, we're cycling again.
>
> Nothing personal to you or Jim, but I have a sudden fatigue on
> packaging because it seems like people are ignoring what's being done
> to complain afterwards about us suffering of some kind of NIH :)
>
> If you're seeing anything you don't like in PEP  381 (accepted a while
> ago), go ahead and propose some improvements.
>
> But please keep in mind that we've looked at other systems before we
> wrote that PEP.

+1 If someone (Tarek in this case) wants to take the lead on this then I
don't care where the fix was invented ;-)

Obviously the less we make volunteers do, and the more we can outsource
the better (I say this in Plone-land repeatedly) but sometimes
inventing-something-here is the right thing to do. And it certainly
would not preclude other (cloud) fixes AFAICT.

Alex

--
Alex Clark · http://aclark.net