[Distutils] Fwd: The state of PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Sep 27 20:10:54 CEST 2011

Am 27.09.2011 13:12, schrieb Jim Fulton:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 6:07 AM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:40, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 1/ stability and high availability
>>
>> How are opinions on setting up country-specific PyPI mirrors? The lag
>> to the US is pretty severe in Poland, and I suspect my buildouts would
>> benefit from having a server in Poland. Now, of course, it could be
>> called x.pypi.python.org, but maybe we should have aliases such as
>> pl.pypi.python.org as well?
>>
>> I have no strong opinion on the issue, what do others think?
>
> Wouldn't CloudFront make this moot?

I personally don't believe the CloudFront project is feasible - IMO,
it just won't work. This is because there needs to be both dynamic
content (at least for uploads) and static content; CloudFront can
only mirror the static content. However, since this all forms a single
web site, integrating them will be either infeasible or pointless.

It would be possible to use CloudFront if the clients would be changed.
But if so, it would be best if the CloudFront copy would just be a
PEP 381 mirror.

Regards,
Martin