[Distutils] Creating msi of Python 3.2 app with custom attributes

Cesar Covarrubias cesar.covarrubias at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 23:40:21 CEST 2012

Hello,

I am working on creating an msi installer from our Python 3.2 application.
I would like the installer to allow me to define a default installation
path and to create shortcuts to the Start Menu and/or the Desktop. Ideally,
we would like to give the user the option to specify if they would like the
to install the shortcuts, but this is not required. Default behavior is to
install the shortcuts.

I have a setup.py that generates the msi with the default path but I can't
seem to figure out how to get it to create the shortcuts.

Do note that I have looked at
http://docs.python.org/distutils/builtdist.html but that doesn't have
expanded documentation.

Any suggestions or links to documentation would greatly be appreciated.
--
Very Respectfully,
Cesar Covarrubias