[Distutils] zc.buildout: KeyError during "buildout init" with distribute 0.6.25

Felix Schwarz felix.schwarz at oss.schwarz.eu
Fri Apr 6 12:45:17 CEST 2012

Also I should mention that the problem is somehow connected to the way how
Fedora installs the decoratortools.

If I install 'decoratortools' manually through easy_install (system-wide), the
problem does not appear.

When I traced the code I found that in the latter case
zc.buildout/easy_install does not check for peak.util after it prints
   Getting distribution for 'distribute'
while it checks for peak.util when decoratortools is installed via Fedora's
packages.

I don't see an obvious difference: Fedora does not do anything special to the
source and builds/installs it like that:
%{__python} setup.py build
%{__python} setup.py install --skip-build --root %{buildroot}

Other Fedora namespace packages (e.g. paste, logilab, zope) don't cause issues.

What's so special about peak?

The only obvious difference I see is that the peak packages install individual
Python files (decorators.py, symbols.py) in a common python package
"peak.utils" while other libraries seem to prefer separate packages (e.g.
zope.interface, zope.proxy).

I'm not sure why this seems to make a difference but the complexity
Python's/setuptools' site activation mechanism is currently over my head.

fs