[Distutils] Fwd: specify manifest template other than MANIFEST.in

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Apr 10 07:12:14 CEST 2012

On Mar 21, 2012 10:19 PM, "Éric Araujo" <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> From a quick look at the code setuptools’ sdist command ignores
> MANIFEST.in and MANIFEST altogether and takes the list of files from the
> version control system.

No, MANIFEST.in is used, it's just that setuptools doesn't depend on the
MANIFEST file.  Distutils by itself can end up with a stale MANIFEST file,
so setuptools ignores it.  MANIFEST.in, on the other hand, is used as a
supplement to any available revision control info.

The main problem the OP will have here is that putting multiple
distributions in a single directory isn't well-supported by distutils or
any distutils-based build systems that I know of at the moment.