[Distutils] pip on windows: life without eggs ok?

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Mon Apr 16 01:50:05 CEST 2012

Hi,

I keep forgetting in discussions that pip doesn't support eggs. Their
main usecase is installing binary python eggs on windows, I'd say. I use
linux and OSX myself, so my windows experience is limited.

Question: is pip's compile-from-source character a problem on windows?
Does everyone use a clicky-click .exe installer for binary packages
instead of pip? Is easy_install still more popular?

Note, I'm not talking about installing pure python packages, but more
stuff like mapnik, pil, matplotlib and psycopg2: packages that have C
bindings.

I'm asking because I'm writing a Django book and I don't want to get
clobbered for advising pip when it won't install a mysql or postgres
binding without major work. So I'd love some feedback from windows users!

(I'm mostly using buildout myself, but I'm only describing that near the
end of my book).

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/