[Distutils] pip on windows: life without eggs ok?

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Mon Apr 16 12:31:32 CEST 2012

On 16-04-12 06:17, Matthew Brett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Chris Lambacher<chris at kateandchris.net>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If I were telling a new Windows Python user what to do to get started, I
>> would tell them to use easy_install because easy_install will pick up both
>> installers and binary eggs and do the right thing with those and
>> virtualenvs.
>>
>> pip on Windows is a decent into misery.
>
> Seconded; our scientific packages use numpy (C) and scipy (C, C++
> Fortran, big) and have C and sometimes Fortran extensions, so pip is
> more or less useless for windows, and a real PITA for anything else.

Thanks Chris and Matthew for the info! Especially about the upcoming
no-site-packages default.

I'm really going to have to add a section on debugging site.path to my
book... :-)

Reinout - happy to be using buildout ;-)

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
reinout at vanrees.org             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/