[Distutils] setuptools feature: tag_git_description like tag_svn_revision

Hanno Schlichting hanno at hannosch.eu
Sun Apr 22 17:33:04 CEST 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Jasper van den Bosch <japsai at gmail.com> wrote:
> Might it be an idea to have an option like 'tag_git_description' similar to
> tag_svn_revision? A possible implementation could use git describe; such as
> suggested by Douglas Creager in this gist: https://gist.github.com/300803. I
> am currently using this for my packages, but it might be nice to integrate
> it into setuptools.

The automatic SVN support is pretty controversial in setuptools and at
least for distribute we more or less decided to not expand it further.

But there's various revision control specific packages, you can use:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools-git
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools_bzr
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools_hg
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools_subversion (for SVN 1.7+)

If you have git specific ideas, it's best to follow up with the
maintainers of setuptools-git.

Hanno