[Distutils] PEP proposal: multi-interpreter naming convention for built distributions

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:09:14 CEST 2012

I propose a three-part Implementation, ABI, Architecture naming scheme
for built distributions as a new Python standard. The full list of
allowed tags would need to be fleshed out for this to be completed,
but I don't know enough about the needs of each implementation.

https://bitbucket.org/dholth/python-peps/src/tip/pep-CTAG.txt

Summary

Built distributions need a file naming scheme that indicates the
Python implementation, the ABI, and the platform. Today pypy and
CPython's "setup.py bdist" generate the same filename but incompatible
bdists. This is a problem if you would like to share the two bdists in the
same folder. Instead, they should generate distinct bdist filenames because
one won't work with the other implementation. This PEP only specifies
a tagging system that could be used in bdist filenames.

This mostly considers the needs of CPython. I hope to get input from
the other implementation communities, or in fact anyone at all.

Thanks,

Daniel Holth