[Distutils] Some clarifications and/or corrections to PEP 376

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 19:59:19 CET 2012

Jeroen Dekkers <jeroen <at> dekkers.ch> writes:

> I agree that having the paths relative to the parent directory of the
> .dist-info directory is preferable. It's easy to implement and I don't
> really see any downsides at the moment.

Perhaps not on POSIX, but on Windows things don't fit nicely in FHS-like schema.
For example, if you need to install PowerShell scripts, they will not be able
to be shoe-horned into somewhere under site-packages, as PowerShell looks in
specific (other) places.

I agree that PEP 376 isn't ideal in what it specifies in this area. The simplest
solution would surely be absolute paths only. What are the downsides apart from
the disk space used for the extra lengths of the filenames?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip