[Distutils] where should one download distutils2 from?

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sun Feb 5 13:01:17 CET 2012

Hi,

>> hg.python.org/distutils2
> Yes, that seems to install properly on my OS X 10.5.8 machine.
Great!  I’m often worried because distutils2 does not get buildbots
validation, unlike packaging.

> I promised Andi Vajda over at PyLucene that I'd see if distutils2 is up
> to the job of replacing setuptools for the PyLucene JCC build.
Nice to see more people testing it with real projects.  As long as you
know that distutils2 is not supposed to be a drop-in replacement, and
that you may have to adapt a few things, things should go okay.

> The basic requirement is that it knows how to build shared libraries,
> something which setuptools knows how to do and distutils doesn't.
To quote my reply to you on fellowship a few months ago:
This would be useful, please open a feature request on bugs.python.org.

Currently d2 has no support for shared libraries, only “C/C++
libraries”—not sure if they’re static or something else.

Cheers